Sunday, July 12, 2009

Finally - some great radio in the NY area

Even though there's a ton of music in New York City, I haven't really listened to any of the radio stations in the area since I was about 12 or 13 years old. That was the year that my station of choice, Z100 — a pop music station, went a little too pop music for my tastes. I'd just started playing the guitar, and while I wasn't only interested in guitar-driven music, I was definitely more interested in a less-manufactured sound. Sadly, an overly-manufactured sound had become extremely popular at the time, so I gave up on Z100. The rock stations had started playing an abundance of nu-metal, hip hop stations didn't interest me much at the time, and the rest suffered from easy-listening syndrome.

So a few months ago when a friend of mine told me that there was a new rock station that she'd stumbled across while looking for something to listen to in her car, I was really excited. And when I finally checked it out, I think I heard something like David Bowie and Radiohead back-to-back with each other.

The station I'm talking about is 101.9 RXP, and I've been listening to it more frequently over the past couple of weeks. There are times where it just reflects my early music collection (in the past hour, I've heard everything from The Verve to The Doors and Moby circa-Play). And there are times where I just get to hear some great classic rock tracks and some awesome new stuff.

It's really exciting... even though I've started listening to some international and out-of-state radio more over the past couple of years, this is the first time in nearly a decade where I find myself listening to a local radio station. Maybe there's still some hope for radio and the music biz after all!

No comments: